Disclaimer

This blog is a representation of me, and my opinions and adventures, and it does not reflect any position of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

April 25, 2011

Kiev Trip

Ok, so the deal is that now that I have been here a month (or close enough at least) my goal is to make these postings more focused and well, organized rather than just cramming in random information. Not that I will be able to avoid rambles, but I will try harder to make myself clear and still tell you about my adventures.

Great news is that I am *finally* starting to understand and be understood by my family. It may be basic info- like finally understanding how to tell them that I will do the dishes and that they don’t have to do everything. Or that I can tell them about my day and what I will be doing tomorrow. Or when I have to go over to my LCF’s house I can tell them where I will be, what I will be doing, and when I will be home. So it may not seem like much but it means so much when for the previous three weeks my only conversations at home were about asking their hobbies (which I can only do so many times before everybody is annoyed, including myself) and telling them that the food is great but I am full (and that was predominantly hand gestures to which my host dad would laugh and then pantomime me getting fat). My family- well my sister and mom- took me to Chernigiv last Sunday which was super fun. We went to the bazaar, the theaters (found out that I will be able to see Harry Potter and Pirates in theaters even if dubbed!!!) to see a 5D movie- which I am still confused about. It seems the best way of describing it was that it’s similar to a 3D ride- but minus a story. Just some pretend flying around a grave yard while you get chased by a demon-pumpkin and sprayed with water and being prodded from the back. Anyways, it was pretty sweet. Of course the communication afterwards was probably much more entertaining. When Ukrainians say the English letter “D” it comes out closer to sounding like “dehn” which means day, so when my mom asked me what I thought of 5D I acted like an idiot for ten minutes that it took me to realize she was asking about the movie not something related to five days. Chalk one up to my looking like a complete idiot. Haha. Still a productive day over all though!

And the day before (I know, I am not chronologically presenting this but I can’t be completely organized right?) we went on an Excursion through Chernigiv courtesy of the Department of Tourism. We went to a few churches (including one underground) and got to see the remains of three saints (no, I don’t remember the names) and some human bones of martyrs. We also learned about the history of the city (it’s over 1,300 years old!) such as that it was completely destroyed in World War II (The Great Patriotic War) and that was the third time it was destroyed. Also the main cathedral (St Catherine’s) that is key identifier of the city is actually not representing any church. Because a priest committed suicide there the original church had to un-sanctify (?) it and then after a period of time the other church wanted to claim it and now there is a contention between the two faith’s as to who actually has the rights to it. And I could probably go into much more fun facts about the city but it’s late and I want to tell you some other fun, personal stories instead of history. So I hope you don’t mind.
Today was our first trip to Kiev- so awesome! Because of the trip taking up the whole day our LCF wanted us to talk to locals about different topics we had learned about. First- ask where the bus to Kiev was- though we already knew- and we did well, though one person asked and got directions to we hope was the train since the lady pointed down the stairs and around the corner. Second- talk to a random person and find out what they like to do, where they are from and such. Well I sat next to an older gentleman who was very glad to talk to me, i.e. to the point that he really didn’t let me talk. He told me about the history of Ukraine and the USSR which is why he learned both Ukrainian and Russian. Then he told me about Arnold Schwarzenegger and California (I think he thinks that’s where I am from), then about Adam and Eve and the Bible, and something about bricks and a building… I think. Since most of this was Ukrainian I am not very sure where he was going or even how accurate my guesses are. But he also was teaching me the words for eyes, nose, skin and such so it wasn’t a total loss. And third we needed to ask where the bus to Chernigiv was and that story even tops my new acquaintance story. I go to the cleaning lady to ask, and she points, and then asks me a question. I tell her that I am learning Ukrainian and that I only know a little bit. She then starts leading me away, and I follow till my LCF catches up to do some translating. It turns out that the lady was leading me to find somebody who would determine what language I actually did speak. Hmmm I am not sure how that actually happened. Was my explanation that atrocious in pronunciation or was that the fact that I generally look confused the indicator that I need more assistance than she could provide?
And for my FB statuses:
We have determined that by language skills (a lack of vocab but a futile grasp on grammar) we are about 3 years old, and averaged with our logical skills and real age we are really about 13 years old.
Happy Palm Sunday everyone! Hope someone somewhere sung “The King Of Glory” for me :)
Wearing my bright green dress coat I blend not only into the population but also to the painted gates. I could be the Ukrainian version of Where’s Waldo? Де Амана?
The Ukrainian language is awesome- only three verb tenses. However, lest you think that makes it easy, if you say my name its Amanda, if you say you did something with me it changes to Amandoyu and if you say you are doing something without me it changes to Amandyia. (or somesuch, I don’t have my chart with me) So new decision is to go by “Michelle” since its foreign origin and won’t change endings.
There is monument in Kiev of St. Michael but it is generally referred to as Kiev Batman. Yup. That’s for the win.

3 comments:

  1. hahahahaha!!! Kiev Batman...classic! I do like Michelle, though. New country, new language, new name! Are you getting any mail yet? I've sent several letters, but you haven't said anything, so I don't know. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't believe you get to see and do all that stuff. I would love to see an underground church, that sounds so beautiful. I bet it was a one of a kind site. And while you may be Michelle over there you will always be pumpkin to me. Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you bunches (both of you!) and thanks for the comments! I am glad to know that somebody is reading these random blurbs of my life!

    ReplyDelete