So I am “cheating” for this entry. I have limited internet so while my computer tries to connect, I am already typing it into Word, this way I can make sure that the entry isn’t cut short or lost as my internet may come or go.
And, yes! It is an update for my life and adventures in Ukraine that officially began! Technically since Monday afternoon I can officially introduce myself as a Peace Corps Volunteer Trainee!! Yay!! And as of about five (ish) hours ago, I am in Ukraine! And no, it still doesn’t seem real. It just still feels like a conference or something. I said this when I got to DC because it just felt like another UNA conference since it’s the hotel conference rooms and carrying around a bunch of forms, and now, it’s just orientation with a little Ukrainian language thrown in.
It’s hard to know where to start on explaining the last few days. Staging in DC was just like condensed Orientation- got to meet my fellow volunteers (there are 106 of us so a lot of it is knowing them by face, and of course the blue folders we are carrying around) and went through some just general prep for the real orientation in Ukraine and for Training. And then I was spoiled enough, Delicious came up to visit and that was amazing- breakfast at a bistro with her and her Dad (thanks again for everything!) and yet another farewell with her. Super sad but we’ve been through it before and we know it’s not goodbye.
Then for the trip out of the States to our new home in Ukraine! First a quick jaunt to Frankfurt Airport… tried to get some sleep in but as a group we were all too riled up and definitely kept the flight attendants on their toes. Some were amused, some were not. Then after a fast layover, we were on the flight to Ukraine! After landing in Kiev, we made it through customs pretty fast and were then bundled up onto the two and a half hour bus trip to Chernihv where we will be for the next couple days. Sadly we won’t be able to explore the city at all, but PC is making sure we still get some culture while we finish medical processing and last minute Orientation stuff. At the facility we were greeted by a couple in traditional dress who welcomed us with the customary bread and salt. (I have pictures, and will post them once I have regular internet) Then it was dinner and I have now made it my goal this winter to learn how to make all these delicious foods, especially the breads. (You will see what I mean when there are pictures added!)
So now I am to finish icing my ankle and getting some FB in before sleeping (I am about to pass out, thank you jet-lag!) But I hope to post again soon, and until then, yours truly will be practicing her Ukrainian skills (its official, that is the language I will be speaking, yay!) and getting adjusted to my new life here in Ukraine. (I will find out where my host family is on Friday so that should be exciting!)
Much love to all back in the States!
Ok, that part was written last night, and I have few additions-
One, I am likely to be staying essentially in Chernihv- maybe 15 (ish) minutes outside of the city though.
Two, I get to meet my host family tomorrow!
Yay! I'm glad all that studying was not in vain! Hope the jet lag goes away soon! Love ya.
ReplyDeleteLet me know when you have an address or can regularly check you e-mail!
ReplyDelete