Disclaimer

This blog is a representation of me, and my opinions and adventures, and it does not reflect any position of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

August 16, 2011

To Do Lists

So two months ago I swore in as a PCV. And they warn you, especially as a CD volunteer, that your first few months may be, well, boring. You are just getting used to working with your organization, still transitioning to your new home and most likely getting used to living in the opposite of the community you trained in. In my case, getting used to a Ukrainian city, oblast center at that, (that actually speaks more Ukrainian than Russian) as opposed to a village that maybe composed itself of 1500 people and not only spoke more Russian and Serjk, but had their own dialect as well. And not to mention the fact that I now live alone. (Positive is less oil and mayo, negatives is no little sister or family life).

And since it really has been a full two months of observation and little productivity I wanted to take a moment to highlight what I have actually accomplished.

-Helped at two summer camps, one of which very obviously made an impact on the kids that attended as well as made a positive impact on me. (Now I really want to change the world if only for those kids!)

- Finally caught up on emails, which may not seem like much to you, but dang, it was an accomplishment for me!

-Went to one of the prettiest cities I have ever seen- which was not only beneficial for my eyes but helped me catch up my Ukrainian speaking and motivate me to continue butchering the language in an attempt to learn it.

-Learned (or am learning) how to make photo-videos- the Camp one is finally done! And now I am planning to continue working on this new skill in order to make some of my own that I can post for you. (Privacy disclosure rules means I can't post the camp one)

-And am practicing cooking skills! I will be a pro chef worthy of my relatives by the time I come back. So here is to you Oma, Grandma, the Crilly Aunts, my parentals (of course!), and all the aunts and cousins on both sides. Let's hope some of your awesomeness runs in my blood enough to survive Ukrainian winters! (Canning salsa and apple butter this weekend!)

No comments:

Post a Comment