It is half way through October, and I am 7 months into my life in Ukraine, 4 months as a PCV. I have been here for the last snow and frost of spring and today marks my first frost of fall. I know I still have a long ways to go- officially it isn’t winter yet. But what it does mark is that I have been here long enough to say that I am starting to get my ball rolling on projects and learning how to be a volunteer. Now, this does not mean that I am anywhere close to understanding Ukraine or feel totally comfortable in the culture. But I like that, I like that the culture can randomly spring up and catch me off guard. I like those moments that I get to just say “Oh Ukraine…” maybe I don’t like them during the fact but the good “You Got Ukr-ed” moments make some funny stories afterwards.
These moments include:
I know I get on the №39 bus to get to the train station, and I know- and have taken- that bus back to my apartment, a ten minute ride either way. But there is another random №39 bus that will take me to the train station no problems, but if I get on it attempting to go home, I will instead be traveling around the city center in figure-8s for an hour before it finally gets back to my apartment. What the difference is between this №39 and the right №39 I may never know. What I do know now is to jump ship the minute that I realize I got on the wrong one. That or pack a book to read while waiting it out…
I was invited to a local school to support the students’ HIV project. They were some of the students that went to Camp HEAL and were taking the skills they learned there and applying them in their community. (Rock on School №15!) Not really supposed to be doing anything there, just supporting them but next thing I know I am up on stage introducing myself, introducing my organization and them am assigned to be teaching team building. Hmm… may have been a good thing to know I would be teaching in advance eh? Oh well, here is to the Human Knot, Funky Chicken, and Stones in the River!
Oh Ukraine. Bring on the potatoes and chaos, I am ready for you! And I will be buying a winter hat and some fur gloves this weekend so after that you can even bring on the cold weather! (Just please wait until then ok?) And in the mean time I am working on a Women’s’ Center for Divorcees, planning my English lesson for this Friday (who knew yours truly would be teaching English?), and designing a fundraising campaign for OHALOW this summer.
Of which, we have found out that our primary funding won’t be able to fund us this summer so I ask all my American audience and supports- please vote to support the Presidential Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), it does so much good and empowers so many projects worldwide. And, if you are even exceptionally well connected or know just one organization or potential sponsor/donor that would be interested in supporting a summer camp for kids affected by HIV please let me know. Thanks!
If you don’t know anybody that could help but want to, don’t worry. I have something that you could still support me with- I am getting ready for hosting an American Culture Halloween Party and I need pictures. If you have pictures of houses decorated exceptionally spooky or fun, or pictures of fun Halloween activities, good costumes, or if you are a sneaky photographer and can get some pictures of inside stores for their Halloween displays- shelves of candy, giant cut outs, goodies any and or all of it. It would be spook-tacular if you can help me out with this! I know I can get the pictures online but I am trying to make it more personal by getting pictures from friends and family. Thanks a million and a half!
No comments:
Post a Comment