Disclaimer

This blog is a representation of me, and my opinions and adventures, and it does not reflect any position of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

September 30, 2011

Кабачок… or the Yellow Thing in the Corner

I know my last entry was a bit of a bummer. I can’t deny it, as well as I can’t deny having a serious bout of homesickness. But I wanted to make up for it by commenting on the funnier side of my life in this entry.

I live right on the outside of Rivne: walking one block in I pass a bazaar and a grocery store and yet if I walk the other direction I get to walk out into some stunning fields and pastures. Yup, and you heard that right, a real grocery store, one that I can actually walk through and pick up the items and put them in a cart rather than having to ask the shopkeeper to grab me something off the shelf behind her counter. So farm land and grocery stores at my direction… I mean discretion.

What stinks about this outskirts living is that the main, and thereby better supplied with variety, bazaar is in the center of the city and a thirty minute walk on a good day with a functioning knee. But I realized recently, that my mini-bazaar (I have two in my neighborhood, one decent sized and with a fair amount of vendors, the other is my mini-bazaar with two vendors) is open until 8pm which means that I no longer have to purchase veggies for the entire week. Normally, I would have to go on a weekend, when I am not working, and purchase everything then because the bazaar closes the same time I get out of work.

And yes, I know that whole last paragraph of an introduction to the fact that bazaars close early was probably the most disorganized and wordy paragraph. And I know Brittany, Flash, my Mom, Beatrix and Rachel are all probably cringing, but I can’t help it! The words and ideas come and I can mostly type as fast so it just turns to rambles. But there I go doing it again.

Starting over, I have a mini bazaar that is open late so I go shopping there. (That was easy, if boring). And of the two vendors, I generally go to the second. Not that there is anything wrong with the gentleman at the first one, for indeed he actually has more produce and a variety of products. But the lady at the second one knows me. No, she doesn’t know my name, and while she doesn’t know me as American specifically, she knows that I am a foreigner.

Mind you, if I were her, I would probably refer to me as the “squash girl.” Because every single time I go, I buy squash (a summer squash that is like a yellow squash meets zucchini but sweet). And how could I not? It’s like a penny to get a squash that fills my vegetable intake for a week! But the kicker to the fact that I always buy this squash is that I never ever can remember what it is called in Ukrainian. And she knows this, so when I walk up, she already starts bagging some squash. And before she started doing this, our little interaction would go something like this; I order my tomatoes, onions, carrots, cabbages and who knows what else in perfect Ukrainian. Then I get to order my squash and it just stops. A look of comical confusion enters my face, and I just start chuckling. So I make something up about the “thing next to the carrots” or the “yellow vegetable” or even on occasion I just point. And this has been happening for three whole months. Including times that the only thing I buy is this squash! And this lady has the patience of a saint because every week she will tell me “кабачок” and I repeat it. Smile. Pay for everything, wish her a pleasant day and walk away. Just to come back in a few days, or a week, and smile like an idiot because I have already forgotten the word.

So I am proud to say that I finally can remember this word and am so excited because I even know the plural form and can spell it out. But as I was mentally preparing my shopping list for the weekend, I realized that while it is super awesome I can finally remember this word, it is also fall. And soon, this wonderful veggie will no longer even be available for me to buy. So I wonder, will she still remember me even when I don’t order squash? And will I still remember this word when the squash reappears in the bazaars next summer or will I have to start all over again?

New mantra for the winter- кабачок кабачок кабачок кабачок кабачок кабачок. Which is pronounced kabachok, kabachki for the plural just as a bit of extra info for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment