Disclaimer

This blog is a representation of me, and my opinions and adventures, and it does not reflect any position of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

January 23, 2012

What do you mean its only Jan 23?!

Originally I was going to begin this entry by apologizing for the time between this and my last post because I felt that it had been ages since I last posted. But then I reread my last post and it actually hasn’t been that long. I just have been so busy that I feel it should have been over a month since my last post. And when I think about how busy I have been, it seems that the last time I had a significant chunk of free time was back about the Thanksgiving/Birthday time. Busy for socializing and cultural time mostly though because work has been fairly slow- who works during the holidays anyhow?!

It is the New Year’s though, and my resolution is to outdo my own optimism, get ridiculously productive, and continue my Ukrainian language lessons as well as pick up some Spanish practicing each week.
1. Be positive- Yes, my knees hurt so bad that I want to cry if I have to walk more than a block. But, positive- potentially going to the States to get it resolved (cheddar cheese, Mexican & Chinese food, Wal-Mart, showering everyday here I come and FAMILY AND FRIENDS) or just spending time in Kiev…. Ok, so I really don’t have a positive for that one yet but I’m working on it. Either way, bring on the IB Profin and learn how to wait for PC Washington to let me know what they plan.
2. Productivity- PCPP grant submitted and gone live, OHALOW funding here we go! (More info later). Tentative planning for a Capacity Building and Mission Development Seminar begun, and starting to brainstorm a future for myself (because it seems that I may actually need to have a plan after PC). As well as the Amanda-centric stuff such as cross stitching a traditional Ukrainian wedding scarf or banner, finally starting to make a dent on my Reading List, and of course, practicing my Ukrainian cooking skills.
3. Language Learning- Spending an hour each week practicing Spanish, and making a more concentrated effort towards speaking Ukrainian with my Ukrainian friends even if they speak English. Of the two, I am not sure what will be harder, trying to think in Spanish again or forcing myself to use Ukrainian when English would be easier.

On other news of my life- the 49ers lost in their bid for the Super Bowl, which is uber-boo. New Years was spent in the company of some of my most amazing PCV friends. One of my Ukrainian friends has recently adopted me as her older sister- and told the hospital staff this, who then commented on how much we look alike (long dark hair and brown eyes as well as a tendency to smile and laugh, I guess will have that effect). I have a wonderful new scar on my leg courtesy of removing a “normally abnormal” mole. My LCF has recommended me to getting a cat and then just finding a Ukrainian family to adopt it after I leave…. but of course she already has three and wouldn’t be able to adopt my baby from me. We have a foot of snow outside- or did, the sun is out now so it might just be slush now (uggh). Oh, and I got a Nook so I am completely and totally absorbed into a book series my friend recommended (read, he took my Nook and uploaded them before I knew what was going on). He gave me Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin…. Never heard of it before this though as it turns out there is actually a HBO series based off of it, and I am loving it- it has been ages since I have picked up a book that I just can’t put down (read, yours truly is reading more than sleeping nowadays).

And bam! You now are updated on my life in Ukraine.

No comments:

Post a Comment