My apologies everyone! I know, it has been ages and a half since I posted last and I knew this subconsciously but it wasn’t until somebody else brought it up that I realized I really need to get on it. I would like to say that my justification is that I have been working on an entry regarding bullying. I was going to try and be philosophical and such but you know how I get when I go down that direction. It starts with an idea about bullying regarding weight, how jealousy and snide comments towards can be a form of bullying too. And then I want to talk about how sometimes its adults that bully people too, from colleagues in the traditional sense, to becoming a bully in a child’s eyes because of comments and behavior the children witness, tolerate and immolate. Then that lead me into a comment made by a good friend of mine who said “It is easier to build up a child than fix an adult” and I am betting you can see where that lead me to with all my grand leadership ideals and concepts of what defines a role model. And then with adults and “role models” who are in positions of authority and fail to appreciate their impact on their communities and may not behave with such in mind. So you see, I legitimately have been working on that entry, I just can’t seem to get focused long enough to write it completely and without making a thesis of it. (Though that does get me to thinking about the slim chance that I ever get to grad school I might have a focus already…)
Anyhow, lest I really start to ramble, I will now hopefully present an equally favorite topic of mine. Camp OHALOW! Yes, it’s that time again! Well, preparation time at least. Counselors are selected and planning the program is in way. Soon we will be selecting the kids who will come to camp, those who will come back and where we will be having camp. So excited!! Though, maybe I should explain to you what Camp OHALOW is in case I haven’t yet regaled you with its awesomeness.
OHALOW stands for Overcoming HIV And Leading Our World. It is a week long summer camp for youth ages 10-13 that are infected and affected by HIV. We give them a week to just be kids, to laugh, to play and to learn without having to worry about discrimination, fear, or judgment. As a leadership camp the kids get to participate in hands on activities that encourage leadership development, such as low ropes activities, group projects and team building games. This year there will also be an “Olympic” type theme where the teams not only have a team color but a team country where they will be learning about foreign nations and cultures. And of course there will be the best camp games and activities, from singing songs, to playing sports, and of course a talent show! I know, I know, you want to go too!
Last year, it was the best thing that had ever happened to me when I got the opportunity to work at this camp (Go Green Monkeys!!!) and I am just lucky enough to be contributing again this year. We are going to be working with a great organization located in Ivano-Frankivsk, CCF Solidarity, and I can’t say enough positive things about them. This year, as the second year for OHALOW stands to be even bigger and better! However, I do have a favor to ask of all you. OHALOW staff in collaboration with CCF Solidarity covers all the costs for these children, covering their transportation to and from, their lodging and their food as well as all supplies. That means all the PCVs involved, the staff of Solidarity, and all other volunteers are hard at work fundraising through all their communities and writing grants. Yet with all of that we still need to pull in a few extra dollars. So what I am asking you, is that if you are able to donate to the cause, please do so! If you can’t, please pass on the link to friends and family that you think would be able to donate. Every single dollar makes a difference for these kids in getting them the opportunity of a lifetime.
Please donate at:
https://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=donate.contribute.projDetail&projdesc=343-303
And of course, email me if you have any questions or concerns:)
No comments:
Post a Comment