Disclaimer

This blog is a representation of me, and my opinions and adventures, and it does not reflect any position of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

May 5, 2012

The Gig Is Up!

Officially this is my apology for poor emails and communications with friends and family, for lying about my whereabouts, my knee condition, and everything else that went along with setting up the glorious surprise that I did. What surprise? Oh, just surprising my entire extended family this last weekend.

See, it was my Oma and Opa’s 50th wedding anniversary (CONGRATS a million times over!) and they were not only having a mass to renew their vows but they were making it a family affair, inviting all the loved ones from around the world. Our relatives from Germany even came in, including some of my great uncles whom I hadn’t met yet. All the aunts and uncles, most of the grandkids, and the family friends who are referred to as cousins or aunts but actually don’t have any genetic relation. And my Oma and Opa were sad, but understanding when I rsvp’d in the negative. I was after all, “In Ukraine.”

So, when my knee doesn’t heal as fast as it was supposed to in Thailand, and PC decides that it would be better to medically separate me that I might continue my physical therapy and treatment in the States, I felt the time was ripe for a surprise. I told my Ukrainian friends not to spill the beans on my FB (apologies to those comments that I was forced to delete) and I told only my parents about my return. I wanted to surprise them too, but I realized that I would need a ride home from the airport. So I get home, surprise the heck out of my sisters- screaming, crying, laughter and shock were the reactions from them. One response from a friend even hung up on my call because it was too much for her. And then I asked them to continue pretending that I was in Ukraine when relatives asked. (Thanks again!)

At the end of nearly a month in Nebraska, keeping my status on the down low, I manage to surprise my Oma, Opa and all the aunts, uncles and cousins that were there. I mean ALL of them. How often do you get to do that? 13 cousins, over 10 aunts/uncles, all the second cousins, great uncles, great aunts and family friends, and I got them all in one strike. Yes! Now, when can I plan another epic surprise?

Again, thanks to everybody for keeping the secret. And for those that keep asking about my knee, here is the current and complete update as of today.
I am still in the States getting PT and working on that level of recovery, the doctor still hasn’t given me a date for potential return. BUT, I am finally not taking my meds religiously and can even go without them for periods. I am also getting better at going up on stairs and hills are, if still challenging, possible. The big part of the new accomplishments for me is the fact that I can finally do assisted squats at PT. Yay! I am getting better!! Doctor appointment in a week and a half so hopefully then I will get a date of return. (Please be June. Please be June. Please be June.)

Until then, peace! And check out Camp OHALOW!
https://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=donate.contribute.projDetail&projdesc=343-303

No comments:

Post a Comment