Disclaimer

This blog is a representation of me, and my opinions and adventures, and it does not reflect any position of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

January 6, 2013

2013

1987- The world was lucky enough to be blessed by my presence for the first time.

1988- Found out I love birthdays- yes, today all the attention should be on me.

1989-Started defining my career of impish mischief, chicanery, and shenanigans.

1990- Lost the title of “youngest” in the Stanley clan.

1991- Tried to name the next sister after the oldest- made sense to me if not Mom.

1992- Imaginary friend named Rainbow (Brite)… need I say more?

1993- Braved that world called Kindergarten

1994- Decided to be my own person… and got a hair chop that resulted in a buzz cut.

1995- The year that will go down as the last year math made any sense whatsoever.

1996- I actually don’t know what to say about this year….

1997- First remembered move. New Mexico, please begin changing my life.

1998- Was the star in a musical.

1999- Middle school…. *shudders*

2000- Got kicked out of band, but not for lack of effort.

2001- Survived a monkey invasion at the school, and fell in love with India / Asia

2002- Learned that I actually can swim- despite failing lessons as a kid

2003- Found humor in Romeo and Juliet

2004- Played UNO for a Spanish final

2005- Got a 6-pack. Bam.

2006- Walked out of high school head held high and never looked back.

2007- Earned two best friends by surviving a job as a summer camp counselor.

2008- Found myself jumping UNA ranks from “newbie” to president in 5 weeks

2009- Dominated the 7th largest university in the nation…

2010- And walked away with honors.

2011- Decided to try out my wings in Ukraine as a PCV.

2012-And limped back (literally)

2013. How did I get this far? I look back and I survived a lot last year, and that is keeping it simple. I survived the end of the world (what with the Mayans trying to outdo the Y2K shenanigans), I made it through a surgery in a third world country (by myself), and I did not panic during Laura’s wedding (though that may still come… I have a pseudo-brother now?!), I surprised my ENTIRE family on my return home, my baby sister turned 21 (also fighting the panic on that one), my little sis graduated college, I attained a real grown up job, I bought a car (oh Clyde, how I love thee!) and I survived two more emergency room visits. And looking back, it was intense. It was crazy. It was me. So I really can’t complain about my 2012 year. I just can say that it definitely will not be a forgotten year (Oh ’96 what did I do with you?). And I can say that my resolution this year is to take that beast by the horns and show it who’s boss (and that’s me, just to clarify).

It is strange though to think back, when I made that list and defined every year of my life. I feel that I am such a vibrant and multifaceted individual that having a list of my life seems well, incomplete. I can’t go into talking about all the individuals that changed my life, the moments that will forever be etched in my mind for both the better and the worse. I can’t talk about all the trials and challenges that made me define my own backbone of morals and sense of self-standards. There just simply isn’t enough time, space, words or focus on my behalf to write my life story. It’s trippy enough to think on how my life has defined who I am. So I will just say, here is to 25 years of adventures and to 25 more years of the same. Thanks to everyone who has been a part of my journey and I hope that you stay with me for the next portion.

No comments:

Post a Comment