Indifference. Meaning that you just don't care. It's not that by not voting means that you are taking a stance against this campaigner or that. It's that you just don't care one way or the other. End of story. Flip the channel when the commercials bombard you. Pay your taxes because that's what they tell you to. Just go about your happy way without devoting any time or consideration to the political sphere.
"Researchers estimate at least 51 million eligible U.S. citizens are unregistered, or more than 24 percent of the eligible population" (http://www.abc4.com/media/lib/5/f/b/a/fba47cd6-01dd-45f3-819f-b32127f561e0/Pew_Upgrading_Voter_Registration.pdf)
Now, here is my stance on that. No, I am not going to tell you how to vote. And I am pretty much as independent as they come- I am a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (tends to be more liberal), and I am a proud Air Force / Military Brat (tending to be more conservative). I am an issues voter. Or rather, I used to be. Lately, I have been tending more towards the apathetic, disinterested, have-better-things-to-do voter.
I think this comes from the same place as a lot of people. We would care, but instead of candidates telling us why they are awesome, and how they are going to change the world as we know it (whether you are voting in your sheriff or the president) they are telling us why we shouldn't vote for their competition. They tell us in inflammatory, accusatory, and derogatory terms why the other person is such a terrible person. But, since the opposition is just telling us the same thing about the first candidate, all we see is how terrible each of them are.
What is that? Pick the lesser of two evils then? Well, in that case, I am just not going to vote. That way when evil A or evil B gets elected, I can say that I wasn't responsible at all because I didn't vote. Yup. That sounds like the best plan. Instead of picking the lesser of two evils I just avoided all temptation and walked away. Pretty easy right there.
When did we get away from "Pick me! I am awesome! I will (fill in the blank with what makes you happy)" Maybe it is a realist mentality, if you promise to do something big (bigger and flashier is an important campaign strategy) you actually have to do it? And well the defeatist attitude plays a part here too, if you don't your competition will throw you under the public-smearing bus and run you over (while the cameras are rolling). It's a no win. Big bigger, better, flashier than your competition else you kiss your career away. Again, WHAT IS THAT?! Come on society! Get it together. Make reasonable promises. Affect your population! Do something, other than smear other people. Because, that, really doesn't take much skill to bring another person down. Impress me. DO something positive!
Gasp!! What does that even mean?!
Well, here are some ways that your campaign could do something more along the positive sides. AND I will be nice, I won't only tell you to stop bashing your competition and start spouting how awesome you are and what you will do in office.
1. Instead of rallying a bunch of volunteers to sit on street corners waving at people with a poster that says your name. Put them in shirts that say your name and have them walk up and down that street picking up trash.
2. Same shirts, have them volunteer at programs/events that are along your campaign ideals. For example, if you want to support after school programs, have them help actually participate in those programs- school chaperones, sports coaches, music teachers, prop making at the school theater.
3. Use your prodigious campaign funds to do something OTHER than gala dinners where the only people that know you are there are the other campaigners doing the same "look at me I am supporting _____" / this is a major celebrity event and I can suck up to a lot of people and eat really good food at the same time. Maybe, donate it to your cause? Make it public, milk the marketing out of it. I don't even care what your cause is, just do something WITH them. Show up to local meetings. (Where you can meet your voters hint hint)
4. Make yourself available to more than just the high-ballers of life. I get that it is a security thing. But I think that using those awesome think-tanks you have access to you could probably find a way to meet more people. Small talk with small people. You, as a politician, have the small talk down. So use those skills!!
Come on people, don't let humanity get away from you in your campaign and you might just find more humanity filling in the little circles next to your name. I think this is an easy concept. I give my nephews candy, they give me hugs. High School SGA campaigns spend the time be a little bit self-important- "I am awesome. I love me. You should love me. Recess for all!" When did you (politicians) forget this stuff? If the kids get it, you have no excuse.
End political rant.
No comments:
Post a Comment