Why? Because, at least to me, it shows that he is open to new things and by new things, I mean breaking into a realm that is typically considered a women's world. Now, I know there are many famous male chefs out there, and that barbequing is typically considered a male past time. So I should be clear that what I am referring to is when a guy likes to cook dinner- as a daily event, a normal without reasons or intentions dinner. Just to cook. It's pretty well known that a fast way to a guy's heart is food. Well, the preparation of it by a guy tends to do the same thing for girls.
Granted, I can only speak from my perspective- which is limited, and biased. But it is what I know. I also know that maybe there is more to it than just not having to be the sole provider for dinner every night. There is probably a bit that attracts girls just on the fact that the stereotypical roles for genders is just slightly crumbling when the guy cooks dinner.
I used to consider myself a feminist and I made no bones or considerations about who knew that I was. I wanted to rule the world the same as men do. I wanted to be president. To make changes and have the same amount of influence that they do simply based on preconceived notions. I was loud, I was proud, and I was a feminist. As I got older and my opinions began to matter, to affect my job, and my entire world I started to tone it back. Feminism was seen as too radical, too bossy, too "intimidating."
Intimidating.
Why I was single- "Well, Amanda, you are just too intimidating for guys. They don't know how to react to you."
Why I was bossy- "Can't you just be a little more... ladylike?"
Wait, what? I speak my mind, I am proud of myself, I walk tall, and I go forward to get what I want. But that is unladylike and not appropriate because I am a girl? Maybe I tried to fit in a little (not that I was good at it, apparently I am who I am and just can't help it.). Sometimes I would get defensive and go into denial when people asked if I was a feminist. Either way, it wasn't right. That I should expect the same treatment and respect that I would get with the same personality if I happened to be born with different body parts is just wrong. So I am going to get back to calling myself a feminist and continue being myself. I am just as equal as any other person out there- regardless of gender. So here is to those sexy men who break convention to cook dinner. I salute you.
(And shout out to the He For She Campaign- http://www.heforshe.org/ - which is encouraging men to also work hard to help break down gender stereotypes and to Emma Watson for her moving speech to the UN asking people to reunite feminism with gender equality not man-hating and to understand that this is our battle, and our battle is now- http://www.upworthy.com/her-voice-might-tremble-but-emma-watsons-message-is-strong-and-clear
No comments:
Post a Comment