Disclaimer

This blog is a representation of me, and my opinions and adventures, and it does not reflect any position of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

August 23, 2010

Road Trip

Ah, here's to the last few weeks. Finally escaping the oppressive heat and humidity that is Florida, and spending some fantastic weeks with my favorite Shelley and of course my family all the Torres, Stanley, and Crilly sides. And I will hopefully do justice to those weeks here in a post, but I apologize in advance, no matter how thorough I will try to be there is simply no way to convey through writing what I have enjoyed in live action.

Packing up and getting ready was challenging and hard. Not so much regarding the physical labor of moving my entire apartment down three flights of stairs with a bum knee in Florida's heat, though that was ridiculous in and of itself. But about going through another move. I am very familiar with moving around- across town, across state and occasionally across oceans, that doesn't make the task any easier. Sure I can say good-bye without crying, and I can truly appreciate the concept of staying in touch (let me just comment on my great skills of being a pen pal) but leaving such amazing friends that I have is hard. I know from the bottom of my heart that I will see them again, that doesn't make it any easier. And then arriving thousands of miles away and having to consider time differences before calling just emphasizes that they are no longer right around the corner, in the next room, or down the street. And does that ever just make me want to go right back and get one more hug, one more smile, one more playful banter. Distance makes the heart grow fonder, and wanting what you can't have are two very poignant sayings for me right now.

As for family time. Wow, do I have a truly amazing family. I have always known and appreciated them, but going home and visiting Oma and Opa, Nina and her family, my Stanley uncles and their families, the extended Iowa families, all my little cousins, aunts, and uncles. Just playing cards, enjoying margaritas, taking naps out in the fresh Colorado air, eating more garden fresh vegetables and homemade cooking than my stomach could ever digest... just so much good quality time spent with some quality people. For the first time in a long time I remembered what it's like to truly be home. Having stories about growing up and childhood, driving the little cousins to the pool where I had (and failed) swimming lessons (the pool, coincidentally, now has an entire outdoor play section complete with huge slides), just so much good home feeling that I felt overwhelmed (in a completely good way though).

And of course sharing this with Shelley has been highly entertaining... taking pictures of the clouds and scenery of flat farmland, the country that I took for granted- which just makes up for my taking pictures of icicles and snow when I was in New Hampshire visiting her. Oh the crazy stories that will be told about this trip- most of which had pictures to go with, but unfortunately my camera has decided that now would be an opportune time to die. Granted it put in a good life surviving with me in college, but I would have appreciated it waiting a few days. New one is ordered though, so no worries on that note.

Alas, Shelley is waiting for some social chatter time and I will soon be reminiscing too much to write coherently so I will return later and write more, specifically focusing on detailing my newest Peace Corps news and life plans (including attending a Pirate Fest!!). So never fear, I shall return and hopefully not leave such a gap in my postings again. Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment