Disclaimer

This blog is a representation of me, and my opinions and adventures, and it does not reflect any position of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

January 24, 2011

PC... Countdown 55 Days

AHHHHH! OMG!
That is what keeps circling inside my head lately. Corny, very. But then I realize the core of this excitement and I realize it's totally worth it, and in reality not that very strange.

I am going to Ukraine, in fifty-five days to start as a Peace Corps Volunteer (PCV). Wow. That I have been given this amazing opportunity to make a difference, that I am going to be part of something huge. It's just mind boggling. And I keep thinking that one of these days my heart won't start racing each time I think about it, that the concept of becoming a PCV will just be a simple fact. But then, it never does. I start talking or thinking about it and I get goosebumps and the whole nine yards. With that, I realize that I don't ever want it to become simple fact. I am going to be a part of something awesome, and there is no way to make that "simple fact."

I don't honestly remember when I first heard of the PC, maybe in high school? I considered it as a "well if I don't get into the State Department (back when I wanted to be a Science Attache) I'll join the Peace Corps" but I don't even remember if I knew what the PC really was. Other than volunteering overseas. Then I decided, spur of the moment, to actually apply. Half way through my application I finally started to research what it was that I was signing up for. And I fell in love with it, the mission, the purpose, the countries... everything. Then I went to my first info session. I listened to the stories of some RCPV's from Africa, South America and Kyrgystan. And I got goosebumps. I knew that I was supposed to be doing this. So here I am, one year after starting that application to sitting in the less-than two month countdown and the excitement still hasn't passed.

So, to all of my family and friends, I am so glad that I have you in my life and that it is because of your support that I can even attempt this. Thank you for everything! (And remember, I still want to hear from you when I am all the way over in Ukraine!)

A snippet on Community Development from the PC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ZIqo3uYIA

No comments:

Post a Comment